Wednesday, September 26, 2012

How many times have you done it ?

Hello everyone
 How many times have you driven down the street and seen a homeless person and pretend you didn't see them  ? A person panhandling at a traffic light and roll up your window and shake your head and say no change, Seen someone unkempt and standing in line in a fast food place counting pennies and say to yourself " I would never let myself get that way"! I assume most of you are nodding your head and muttering "yah I have" it's ok you are not alone , myself included. It wasn't until I was in my late 20's that I started to wonder less about how I would never get to a place of destitute and poverty and more about how did theses people I see everyday get to that point? What is their story?
We all met Barnard this week and I will admit I have seen him everyday for the past 4 years as I leave for work and when I am on my way home and I have never had the chance to stop and speak with him as he is usually on the side of a major road that has no place to stop. Barnard goes about his daily routine of traveling up and down the length of 264th pushing his bicycle that is overloaded with bottles.I am so glad that I stopped as I found out not only does he pick up bottles he picks up the trash on the side of the hiway, when asked why ? He simply said " it's where I live and I want it to be beautiful" this is a man that with the little energy he does have gives back to his community to make our world a better place. I don't know how he got to where he is at but I do know with an attitude like that he will go far if he chooses. I have so much respect for that man that I will make sure that if he needs a warm coat or a hot meal when I am near he will have it! We should all be not so quick to judge a book by its cover.if you are ever traveling on 264th in Aldergrove by the Zoo ,stop and say thank you to Barnard he has a big heart and a great smile.
This week we did manage to perform other random acts of kindness. There was an annonomous donation of $100 to Children's Hospital made due to a bet that FV Secret Santa could not get to 500 followers.thank you everyone for helping me get there. A Drop was made in Abbotsford to a very special and deserving person who always thinks of others. A drop in Aldergrove that was rewarding but disappointing,a $50 gift card and a personalized letter for a man that took time to ask me to help his sister when in fact he has been through some very tough times himself.Unfortunatly I do not know what happened but the card was not accepted at the Central City Brew Pub and I am currently awaiting word on why, yes there was $50 on the card of my own money !
We also have to thank and I encourage everyone to mention and thank @timhortons for generously jumping on the Santa train and donating lots of $10 gift cards so that FVSS and the helpers could do even more for the people in our communities. Amazing group of people from the summer camps to the smile cookie program we all thank you !
Last I would like to mention a man that is never selfish and incredibly talented,mr @ronb93 .Ron will be having a concert in Vancouver on Nov 10 and I encourage everyone who can attend please do . Who knows you just may catch a glimpse of Santa as well . All information for the show is available through his twitter profile page and follow the link to his site.
Support local artists who are talented and are chasing their dreams.




1 comment:

  1. i cannot just walk by, i give them something, change, whatever i can. my heart is heaving if i dont

    ReplyDelete