Friday, February 15, 2013

Using one brush to paint a picture




Not sure how to approach this subject this week. Do I cut to the chase and just say I think there is too much hate in this world and people are too easy to pass judgment? Or do I take a conservative approach in an attempt to not hurt anyone’s feelings. DIRECT ROUTE!!
So often the world is quick to pass judgment on others based on the preconceived ideas that we have.  I would love to see a day when we could all get along and not look down on others, I know that will never happen, I am not naive enough to think that one day the whole world will live in harmony and we will have gigantic love ins all the time,but we can start by caring for others around us , hey you never know where it may lead.
When is the last time you have heard an off side comment regarding someone you don’t know and not take the time to defend that person for the sake of not offending a friend, family member, co-worker or simply the person making the comment. I was shocked and appalled the other day when I heard a young person make fun a man who was trying to have his lunch who obviously had Tourettes Syndrome. I could see the man was barely affected by the comments, which tell me this is not the first time he has been made fun of and probably would not be the last. To me this was shocking, here is a person who wants so desperately to be a part of the community and live a normal life and can’t even go for lunch without being degraded and ridiculed for something that he cannot control.  I found myself becoming angry, I could feel my blood boil at that point. I took a moment to compose myself as I knew if I had gone over and said something half-cocked, I would not have been nice, not that they deserved my nice side. I took my food and politely sat down at the table with the 2 young men. I think they may have pee’d a little when a man 6’4” 270 lbs. came and sat unannounced at their table. I calmly stated to the men who I was introduced myself and asked them why they thought that it was funny to be making fun of others? Their reply “HUH? What does it matter to you what we said?” I explained to the young men that I was not there to pass judgment on them, I was not going to harm them, I just wanted them to defend their comments and explain what makes a person say hurtful things to others for pure enjoyment? After getting off to a slow start I was able to gather information from one of the boys past, he told me that he had a disabled sister and he did not defend the man from his friend because as he grew up he was taught to ignore the problem and it would go away from his parents. I am not saying that his parents were wrong (well maybe I am) but by avoiding the issue and not educating the people around you to the disorder or disability just spawns more hated because then people develop preconceived and misinformed information about what the issues are. With my background in Mental Health, I explained Tourettes Syndrome to the young men. I paid for their lunch and left. As I was leaving I overheard the young men approach the man with Tourettes and apologize for their actions.
I am not saying that will be the last time the boys will make fun of someone , or the man with Tourettes will not have to endure ridicule while in public but what I can say is that even if it was just for one meal , that man felt like he belonged and was welcome.
The moral of the story I guess is that when you see someone who is being bullied or being made fun of , take the time to say something , let a voice be heard for those who have been beat down for so long and do not have the energy to defend themselves.
We all were born the same way and should be treated as such regardless of your ability or disability.  
Santa’s picks for follows of the week
@FMSPCA @A_forbes  @shaimadas @CJCJ95 @vancanucks @Mindcheck_ca @4HUMANITEEs
These are just a few that have taken the time to promote harmony, wellness, positive education and compassion for the people and animals of the world.
SANTA  

1 comment:

  1. People are unkind for one or both of two reasons. They were either raised by insecure people who taught them that degrading others made them powerful, or they have a poor self-image, which creates the same illusion. Of course there are also evil people in the world.

    ReplyDelete